What is the difference between web server and web hosting? This article will explain what each of these terms mean, how they are different, and when you’ll need to use them.
Web hosting refers to the company that provides space for your website files on their servers.
A web server is a computer that hosts websites by giving access to all of its resources – including memory, CPU usage, hard disk storage space, bandwidth etc.
The difference between the two comes down to how much control you have over your online presence.
If you use a shared or reseller account, then this means that there is another website on the same physical machine as yours and thus any resource-intensive websites (such as large image files) can slow down other sites hosted by the company.
With a dedicated server, only one site exists on each machine so it won’t be affected by other people visiting their sites simultaneously – however they are more expensive than some of the budget options out there!
The major difference between web server and web hosting can change depending on who provides them.
Web hosts provide space for your website’s files while web servers host those files themselves, allowing access to all of their resources.
Table of Contents
Types of web hosting providers
There are many different types of web hosting available. Some, like shared hosting and dedicated ones allow multiple websites to share the same physical server with their own personal data on it but there’s also cloud services that provide access from anywhere in seconds without any installation or maintenance hassle for end users!
Things you should consider while purchasing a web hosting
1. Find a web hosting provider that has the features you need
2. Compare different web hosts to find one that is best for your needs
3. Look at reviews of each specific host to see what other people have said about it
4. Check out customer service – if they won’t answer questions, it’s probably not worth being with them
5. Make sure the company offers a money back guarantee so you can try their services without risking anything
6. Avoid companies who don’t offer phone support because you may need help when setting up your site or troubleshooting an issue and having someone on the phone will be much more convenient than emailing them or waiting on hold for hours until someone picks up in chat
Things you should consider while chosing the web server
1. Web server features are the set of functionalities that a web server provides to clients
2. A web server can serve static content, or it can generate dynamic responses in response to HTTP requests from clients
3. Some common services provided by web servers include email, file transfer protocol, and domain name system services
4. Web servers also provide security for client-server interactions through authentication and access control mechanisms
5. The most popular operating systems for hosting public web servers are Linux, Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008R2, Sun Solaris 10/11 SPARC 64bit (Intel x86), IBM AIX 5L V5.3 PowerPC 32 bit (Intel x86)
6. There is no clear consensus among developers on which programming languages should be used to create a new website; some argue that PHP has better performance than ASP because it is less resource intensive while others argue that ASP’s popularity makes it more desirable as an option
List of some affordable web hosting
Hostgator is one of the most popular companies that many people choose to go with because they provide a lot for an affordable price.
An example of this would be HostGator which provides good hosting options and even offers some free services like site backups/transfer support!
Bluehost is another great example of a web host that offers good hosting for an affordable price.
For instance, Bluehost provides one-click WordPress installation which makes it so much easier to get started with your site!
Dreamhost is another affordable web host that offers some great hosting services.
An example of this would be Dreamhost which offers free site backups with your account, making it easy for you to keep all of your files safe!
4. InMotion Hosting
Inmotion hosting is another good web host that many people enjoy using because they provide great services for an affordable price.
SiteGround is another great hosting service that many people enjoy because they also offer affordable prices for good services.
One example of this would be SiteGround which provides the opportunity to have your site migrated to their servers free of charge, making it easier than ever to get started with a new website!
6. A2 hosting
A web hosting service that is popular among developers and designers alike.
An example of this would be a WebHosting which provides a great user interface to help you manage your site, as well as lots of useful plugins.
List of some good web servers you should consider
Apache is a popular choice among developers and designers because it has been around for so long.
A great example of this would be Apache which provides lots of support in the form of documentation, tutorials, community forums and more!
Nginx is another web server that many people choose to go with because it performs well and has great documentation.
A good example of this would be Nginx which provides a different file structure than Apache, but can also perform better under high traffic conditions!
IIS is a web server created and developed by Microsoft.
An example of this would be IIS which provides better security options than Apache, as well as better performance under high traffic conditions!
Lighttpd is another web server that many people choose to go with because it provides speed, security and simplicity.
An example of this would be Lighttpd which has a smaller memory footprint than Nginx, making it great for lower-end servers!
Cherokee is another web server that many people choose to go with because it provides speed, security and simplicity.
Zeus Web Server
Zeus is another web server that many people choose to go with because it provides security and speed.
A great example of this would be Zeus which allows you to run multiple sites on a single machine, making it easier than ever for developers and designers alike!
LightSpeed is another web server that many people choose to go with because it provides speed, security and simplicity.
Lightspeed have Http/3 support, making it faster than ever when loading files!
Lightspeed is 3x faster than apache because of its advanced caching and event driven architecture.
A great example of this would be Lightspeed which provides file-level caching, allowing you to load files much faster than ever!
List some factors to consider when choosing your web host provider
- High availability: If you’re dealing with high traffic your site may experience downtime if there are not enough servers to handle all requests or they aren’t properly configured. In that case having multiple services from different providers will help ensure uptime during peak hours
- Scalability: How well can your website grow? The hosting plan needs to have sufficient resources available as needed without causing an expensive increase in costs over time
- Cost effectiveness: How much are you willing to spend on hosting services? Make sure the budget is feasible for your business
- Reliability: How reliable will it be? There are many factors that can cause downtime including power outages, natural disasters, server failure or network connectivity problems. Using a high availability service with multiple data centers in different geographic locations ensures minimal if any disruption of uptime
- Security: What security features does this plan offer? Most providers include antivirus protection and firewall capabilities integrated into their plans but some also provide malware scanning as well as secure socket layer protocol support
- Ease of use: Is it easy to manage my site from one location without having to do lots of technical maintenance work myself? If not then consider using management software that simplifies the process
- Support: Can I get support when I need it? Consider how quickly you will be able to access help in case of an emergency. Using a provider with around the clock customer service can ensure your site stays online even during unforeseen circumstances like natural disasters, power outages or server failure.
If you’ve never even heard of web servers before, it might be time to take a minute and learn the difference between what they are.
A web server is essentially an individual computer that stores your website files on their hard drive until someone accesses them.
Web hosting differs in that not only does it store your site files, but also hosts all of its data for use by anyone online with internet access.
The type of web server or hosting you choose will depend largely on the size and complexity of your business, as well as how much money you want to spend up front versus month-to-month fees. Which style do you currently have?